Chair of the MHSOAC Subcommittee on Schools and Mental Health
David W. Gordon is the Superintendent of the Sacramento (CA) County Office of Education. He holds a B.A. from Brandeis University and an Ed.M. and Certificate of Advanced Study in Educational Administration from Harvard University. He has served on the President’s Commission on Excellence in Special Education, the Governor's Advisory Committee on Education Excellence, as an Associate in Education at Harvard, and a visiting scholar at Stanford University. He has presented at the White House, before the U.S. Congress and the California state legislature. He serves on the Sierra Health Foundation Board, on the Sacramento First 5 Commission, the State of California Mental Health Services Oversight & Accountability Commission, and formerly served as Chair of the Reporting and Dissemination Committee of the National Assessment Governing Board (The Nation’s Report Card). He and his wife Deborah, a novelist, have two children and six grandchildren.
To develop a series of recommendations that are supported by key partners and stakeholders for the MHSOAC Commission to review and act upon. This would include implementing a continuum of early interventions and supports to improve mental health access and outcomes and increase academic success among children in preschool and elementary school who are exhibiting emotional and behavioral problems.
- Stockton Community Forum: Schools, Mental Health and Wellbeing in the African American Community – February 27, 2019
- Fresno Community Forum: Supporting the Mental Health of Asian and Pacific Islander Children in the San Joaquin Valley Schools – October 3, 2018
- Oakland Gender, Mental Health, and Education Summit - September 7, 2018
- Commission Meeting Public Hearing – March 22, 2018
- Monterrey School Site Visit – Monterrey Park Elementary School – November 15, 2017
- Riverside Subcommittee Meeting – June 30, 2017
- Richmond School Site Visit – Grant Elementary School – April 26, 2017
- Commission Meeting Public Hearing – January 26, 2017
- Sacramento Subcommittee Meeting – December 6, 2016
- Sacramento School Site Visit – December 6, 2016