As set forth by the Welfare and Institutions Code section 5845(a):
The Commission shall consist of 16 voting members as follows:
- The Attorney General or his or her designee.
- The Superintendent of Public Instruction or his or her designee.
- The Chairperson of the Senate Health and Human Services Committee or another member of the Senate selected by the President pro Tempore of the Senate.
- The Chairperson of the Assembly Health Committee or another member of the Assembly selected by the Speaker of the Assembly.
The following are appointed by the Governor:
In making appointments, the Governor shall seek individuals who have had personal
or family experience with mental illness.
- Two persons with a severe mental illness.
- A family member of an adult or senior with a severe mental illness.
- A family member of a child who has or has had a severe mental illness.
- A physician specializing in alcohol and drug treatment.
- A mental health professional.
- A county sheriff.
- A superintendent of a school district.
- A representative of a labor organization.
- A representative of an employer with less than 500 employees.
- A representative of an employer with more than 500 employees.
- A representative of a health care services plan or insurer.